Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Green Mile

Watched part of the movie and was deeply touched. The irony, an ad for a washing machine detergent passed through, and I am reminded of how I used to wash my clothes in the shared machine back in Baan Dusit. Those were a few of my early memories of Dubai. And those were my more treasured memories - taking the staff bus to Karama, to Sunday masses, to work and back. More memorable than when I drove my own car. Simply because those were my humble beginnings. And I'd like to think this is the lesson I am being taught. To remember those humble beginnings.

I went to university in the big city, dependent on my poor parents' salaries as teachers. I had two brothers due to go to university soon themselves. To live decently, I had to go to this ladies' dormitory where the well-off kids went to. I'm not sure how my dad survived that. Then I flunked the pre-dent dexterity test, and further flunked the interview. Just a few of the things I flunked in life. You win some, you lose some. That should have kept me grounded, plus the 4's I had - Math 11, Biochem, Zoo 10 (or was it 11?). My Physics wasn't so bad, though. And I got a 1.75 when I took up Math 11 again. Really a big embarrassment since I got a 99% in my College Entrance Test and passed a quota course.

That should have been more than enough to keep me humble. But my memory is really very short.

No comments:

Post a Comment