Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Never Settling For Less

Settling for less is a lesson that I have learned even as a child yet I seem never to get around to applying it to my choices, even the simplest of them. This past weekend I bought Calvin Klein CK One Limited Edition because the packaging looked exciting and there was a bonus magnet toy. Really! When I got the goods, it smelled like everyone else, what else! I know I am a Carolina Herrera person but I seem to forget it every time I am faced with tough choices like these. I had to wear it as I paid for it and yeah, true enough, I smell like everyone else now.

Then there was this guy I met a few years ago – not really my usual but the first dinner turned to lunch and so on and so forth, and yeah before I knew it, two years had passed. The same with that oral-maxillofacial surgeon although I would not call him less, just not my usual but my hunches were right again.

Now, New Zealand could be something else. I used my logic when I chose this country despite loud protests from Dad and Tony. All because of what it could possibly offer my kids. Their protests were not entirely unfounded – it’s twenty years behind the rest of the world, their sense of fashion still sucks, the temperature is absolutely, absolutely horrible and there is nowhere to go for a real party. Plus I don’t honestly know what they do in school. The bus drivers are kind, though, the air is clean, the best salmon and oysters I have ever tasted, and yeah, I eventually found myself a “normal” job – weekends off, holidays off. The remuneration does not count at this moment. I was looking for quality of life, I got it.

The work challenge is something else but hey, one cannot have one’s cake and eat it at all times. By that, I mean, this is not what I have been set out to do. I barely use any of my grey cells but use a lot of my EQ dealing with bozos. It certainly is a test of tough-mindedness and stomach-strength. I guess I am being prepared for something where a lot of that will be needed. Am I being true to myself? To my calling? What is my calling anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment